Monday, August 17, 2026

Dr Who or Terminator

 

Yesterday I went to the Tyneside Cinema to see the Dr Who film released in 1996. The showing was to mark the 30th anniversary of the film. Back in the 1990s there was a great deal of hope and anticipation about the Dr Who film. Nearly a decade earlier the plug had been pulled on the TV series but Dr Who fans, myself included, hoped the film would kickstart the production of a regenerated TV programme. Oh how wrong we were.

In 1996, with high expectations came low returns. There was widespread disappointment with the film which felt too Americanised. Somehow, car chases, bullets flying, shoot-outs and a disturbing lack of Daleks just didn't seem like the Dr Who we previously knew. Kiss goodbye to any thoughts of a return to the small screen. It wasn't until 2005 (in the middle of the election campaign) that Dr Who eventually made its comeback.

So what did I expect when, for the first time in 30 years, I saw the film again? Frankly I went with low expectations this time. As I sat through the viewing yesterday, I felt I was watching Terminator. That didn't help matters as Terminator 2 is one of my favourite films and ironically I have already booked up tickets at the Tyneside Cinema to see Arnie in September!

As for Dr Who the Movie? I'm still disappointed. It seems I haven't mellowed over the past 30 years.

No comments: