Friday, March 28, 2014

Food competition at the Marriott



I was invited (I think with my councillor rather than my self-sufficiency hat on) to a very enjoyable event at the Marriott Hotel, Metrocentre, Gateshead, yesterday, in which four teams of trainee chefs from Gateshead College went head to head in a competition to win a trip to London where they will serve up a meal in the London Marriott Hotel. A number of local food producers were also there as well. I had some very interesting and useful conversations with them.

Given that I am critical generally of society for letting too many people nowadays lose the ability to cook and become too reliant on ready made meals and industrially mass produced food, it was a joy to see a large number of young people showing off their catering skills.





All the guests had to vote for a team they felt produced the best dishes and the winner (Team B) was announced at the end.





No comments: