Friends of Chase Park in Whickham, with the help of Gateshead Council, have been developing a bid for £1 million of funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The bid is due to be submitted in early March. If successful, it would be a fantastic boost to the park and to Whickham generally.
If the bid is successful it would result in new features including:
- WiFi capability in areas of the park
- New picnic benches and street furniture
- Gardens, community planting areas and a community orchard
- Interpretation Boards
- New trim trail and green gym equipment
- A refurbished park space for children
- A new sports area space and exercise equipment for all to use
- Art installations
With timescales extremely tight Gateshead Council have created online questionnaires for community groups, primary and secondary school aged children to complete. The questionnaires can be accessed through the following links:
All of these projects would be available for community groups to use and to participate in their creation. The project would also include a development worker for the park who would link with education establishments and community groups.
The deadline for completed surveys is Friday 27th February.