Tuesday, February 13, 2007

St Valentine's Day massacre in the Mothers' Union

I have just popped into the Mothers' Union shop just down the road from Cowley St to buy a get well card for a constituent and a couple of stamps (okay, yes I needed to get a Valentine's Day card as well). The scene that hit me as I walked in through the doors will be with me for the rest of my life. Hordes of people battling to get the few remaining Valentine cards. Elbows were the secret weapon needed to battle one's way across the store and to squeeze through the crowds gathered around the displays where people were weighing up whether to get plain, joke or downright tackie and tasteless cards. I guess the choice says a lot about the individual and the nature of his or her relationship (actual or prospective). As for my choie of card.......mind your own business!!!

No comments: