Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Whiskey galore

We were given a tub of blackberries by one of our neighbours in London last week. They were put in the freezer whilst I decided what to do with them. Well, now I have decided. I am going to make blackberry whiskey. The idea came from my colleague Tamsin over lunch. So watch this space to see how I get on.

In the meantime, I am pleased to announce that last night we had our first self-sufficient meal, all of it coming from the allotment, except of course the olive oil we used. Okay, so the meal was 99% self-sufficient. We had a stir fry consisting of Swiss chard, thinned out carrots, onions, courgette. Tonight will be pea and bean soup, spiced up with some old chinese spices I have had for ages. (Okay, so that means it's 99% self-sufficient as well!)

---
Sent via BlackBerry

2 comments:

Liberal Polemic said...

I presume you are not actually distilling your own whiskey. It's illegal you know.

It shouldn't be, mind, but I don't make the rules!

Jonathan Wallace said...

Alas no, this is not illegal whiskey distilling. To make blackberry whiskey, you put a load of blackberries and some sugar in a pickling jar and then add a bottle of cheap whiskey. Leave to stand for three months and then bottle it and enjoy drinking it!