Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Labour's next attempt to silence me

Regular readers of this blog will know about the failed attempt by Labour to force me to take down from my blog the video of the declaration of the Dunston Hill and Whickham East election result I filmed at the end of the count earlier this month.

The ward was Labour's top target in the local elections on Gateshead and they threw everything at it to try to win it back. The result was a near doubling of the Lib Dem majority.

Having failed to get the Council to order me to remove the video, you would have thought the Labour party would have given some serious thought to giving up their attempt to censor what is, after all, just the declaration of an election result. Why they don't want people to see the working of the democratic process is beyond me!

So I shouldn't have been surprised when I was phoned by a council officer on Monday with a second request from the Labour party that the video be taken down. I did feel obliged to point out that the fact the Labour party objects to the video is nothing to with the council. I did say that if anyone from the Labour party wants to speak to me about the video and to put to me their request to remove it, I would be happy to hear from them (though it would not result in the removal of the video!) I am still waiting for the call......

One of the interesting spin offs from this saga is that Labour have created for us a story where one previously did not exist. If they had been sensible and ignored the video, it would now be history. Instead, I now have a story of attempted censorship by Labour. And if Labour want to make the story run and run, who am I to stop them?

You can see the video on : Dunston Hill and Whickham East declaration

On a completely different matter, on Friday I saw the Labour candidate for my ward for the first time this year. He was unable to make the count on 4th May but fortunately for him, he was able to get to the mayor's reception on Friday evening where he was able to partake of the wine and food.

2 comments:

Peter Mc said...

Good plot, pacy dialogue, but you gave the ending away too early in the script. Diddums to Labour.

George Dutton said...

"was phoned by a council officer on Monday with a second request from the Labour party that the video be taken down."

Who paid for that phone call which had NOTHING to do with council business but was a party political matter?. Who paid for the council officer to spend time on this matter?. Are they not breaking the law here? misuse of the council payroll to help the Labour Party,serious matters to be sure.We need clarification before getting the police involved Jonathan. Of course NEW Labour have a history...

Police have launched a new investigation into Labour sleaze after a whistleblower revealed the party is creaming off at least £2m a year of taxpayers' money directly into party coffers.

http://tinyurl.com/2dpo8q