Saturday, September 13, 2008

The non-event of the Brown leadership contest

I see that the Labour party is stirring yet again about the Brown leadership. A handful of MPs have demanded nomination forms for a leadership contest. And a completely unknown whip has demanded a contest and got sacked. Meanwhile, 12 MPs have signed an article demanding more policies. It's hardly of earthquake proportions. Is this the start of a flood of Labour people remanding Brown goes and actually making a stand to force his hand? Or is it just a flash in the pan? I suspect the latter. After all, if you want a change of leader, you have to have someone who is obviously going to take on the job. And frankly, there are no alternatives at the moment, such is the effect of the Blair/Brown scorched earth policy in the Labour party.

Anyway, I am heading into London to catch the train to Bournemouth for conference. Yes, it's that time of the year when we got to bed late, get up early, grab food from fringe meetings and somehow survive on adrenalin for a few days.

The cameras are all charged up, I did my annual shop for new clothes yesterday and the photo ops are all planned. I have my first event to get to in 4 hours' time. Wake me up when we get there!

---
Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: