Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend round up

Where is the rain when you need it? For the past month, ever since we fitted water butts on the allotment, we have had next to no rain. The result is we have had to bring water over from the house, some of it recycled grey water, but the rest from the mains. Pouring water suitable to drink ourselves all over the ground is a bad use of a resource and is unsustainable environmentally. So collecting rain water is a sensible option when you need large quantities of it to pour all over your plants. No rain falling is a bit of a pain so whilst wishing for rain may be a bit of a minority interest, the fact it did rain on Saturday was met with a significant degree of relief by us!

Talking of the allotment, I was canvassed by one of the candidates for the Blaydon Lib Dem selection, whilst down on the allotment yesterday afternoon. He phoned when he found we were not at home. Since it was just a 2 minute walk, I invited him down. I am keenly waiting for the other 4 candidates to knock on the gate of the allotment as well!

Saturday was spent at the Northern Region conference where the guest speaker was Party President Ros Scott. She and husband Mark had endured National Express to get to the North East. I was there mainly to do photos. I will post up a few soon.

I am now on the train to London. Someone recently posted a comment asking me if I ever have anything positive to say about National Express. These things are of course all relative so here is my relatively positive comment about National Express: what a joy - National Express has not cancelled my train. How jolly good of them!

Anyway, wake me up when we get to Kings Cross. And if I don't fall asleep (unlikely) I have a book on keeping chickens to read.
---
Sent via BlackBerry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"For the past month, ever since we fitted water butts on the allotment"

Soon to be illegal (if the water companies get their way)I know they have been talking about this for awhile in the UK...Read comments below article...

http://tinyurl.com/dkz8r5


"Congress is about to make it illegal to grow your own food, or for any farm not to purchase and use government mandated chemicals, additives, and pesticides on all food consumed in the United States, violations are subject to a $1,000,000 dollar fine"...

http://tinyurl.com/cztf6q

Anonymous said...

"Colorado Water Law requires that precipitation fall to the ground, run off and into the river of the watershed where it fell. Because rights to water are legally allocated in this state, an individual may not capture and use water to which he/she does not have a right."...

http://tinyurl.com/6gpyd5

Only a matter of time for the UK to have such laws.

Anonymous said...

Pah! Chicken Feed! I will continue saving water in that way.