Monday, August 20, 2007

The wrong train

I got to Newcastle Central Station in good time to pick up the 8.30am train to London. I got on the train and got out the blackberry to check emails. It was only at 8.35am I checked my watch and began to wonder why we had not moved. Well, in all the years I have been doing the London run, this is the first time I have managed to get on the wrong train. I headed back across the bridge to the main concourse and the GNER information desk. They advised I speak to the guard on the 9am train to see if I could use the ticket on that train (which was the incorrect train I had initially boarded). So I sought out the guard. She was very helpful, listened to my confession of cock up and said that as I had sought her out and raised the problem with me before the journey began that she would allow the ticket to transfer to the 9am train. This generosity has saved me over 90 pounds!

Which brings me to my final point. When National Express takes over the East Coast franchise, I hope we don't lose the high level of service and customer care were have had from GNER.

---
Sent via BlackBerry

3 comments:

Jock Coats said...

I'm astonished that your ticket is for a particular timed service - when did that start happening?

Anonymous said...

I assume he bought his ticket in advance, as usually they require you to get on a certain train at a certain time.

Jock Coats said...

Oh yeah! I suppose so - the only way such a long regular journey could possibly be affordable on a Cowley Street remuneration package!