Saturday, May 05, 2007

And now for something completely different

I am suffering from election withdrawal symptoms. I feel the urge to sit at the pc and write focuses or election leaflets. And if not writing them, I feel I should be out delivering them. But with the election over, this weekend is an election free zone. Nothing political was done. So we did something completely different. My colleagues in Cowley St know me as a jam maker. I collect wild fruit and make it into something people spread on their toast in the Cowley St kitchen.

Today I turned my hand to making a different product from wild foods: nettle and wild garlic soup. This was an experiment and I had to follow the recipe from memory - my wild food cook book is at the flat in London but we are at home in Gateshead. The result of this culinary operation was actually quite pleasant. However, we picked so many nettles and wild garlic that we have a mountain of ingredients left over. We'll be making a stash of the soup tomorrow to go into the freezer for later in the year.

1 comment:

George Dutton said...

"My colleagues in Cowley St know me as a jam maker."

If you make any gooseberry jam don`t forget to send some to the NEW Labour party.

"I feel the urge to sit at the pc and write focuses or election leaflets."

You are in a minority Jonathan the blogs have gone into ghost mode. Shock I think has taken over and the licken of wounds is taken place. Just a shame that NEW Labour survived I was hoping for political wipe out,next time for sure.