Monday, August 18, 2008

The Monday morning blog: an uncivilized start to the week

There is something vaguely uncivilized about catching the train at 6.30am. It means getting out of bed at 5.30am. And since I foolishly sat up til after 1am watching a film called 'The Go Between', the I am already feeling a bit knackered (I last saw the film 24 years ago when I studied the novel for A' level English Lit.)

Much to my delight National Express have not cancelled the train though as usual, the type of seat I have is not what I booked. So I climbed aboard complete with briefcase, camera case, a bag full of jams for Cowley St and a bag full of produced from the allotment for the flat! I just hope I suitably packed the latter or else there is a danger this carriage is going to be stunk out by onions!

We are due into London KX at 9.35am. That's when I intend waking up.

---
Sent via BlackBerry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Libdem railfan I've been following your blog with interest for some time. My only experience of NXEC has been catching the 14.xx from York to Inverness on 04/07 and returning on the 07.55 on 14/07. This is the sole day train between England and Inverness - The Highland Chieftain. By booking well in advance the First Class fare was absurdly cheap. On board service was faultless, and enjoying a proper silver service dinner as you start to climb into the Highlands is a memorable(if somewhat pricey) experience. Unfortunately, the front power unit failed as we started the main climb, so we crawled up to the summit and arrived 3/4 hour late. On the return, we found that there were replacement coaches to Edinburgh owing to the previous day's service not having got beyond Perth, but although the substitution was handled efficiently and we connected with the train O.K. in Edinburgh we didn't find out the reason for the failure. Had a fine lunch before detraining at York. All in all a most pleasurable experience despite the shortcomings! Anyway, I will continue to enjoy your blog, especially reading about the troubles of Nulab in the North East of England and our own good prospects.