Sunday, May 18, 2014

Watergate Sandals

Lovely heat and sun yesterday soaked up on yet another leaflet delivery session, this time in the Watergate Estate in Dunston Hill and Whickham East ward, where Labour Councillor and former debt collector Allison Chatto is defending. The debt collector bit is not mentioned in her election leaflet. Instead, she claims that, "Most of my working life has been spent working for trade union law firms." Anyway, I had nearly 200 letters to deliver to supporters and people who had signed previous petitions on opencast mining.

Large parts of the Watergate Estate consist of terraces which front onto large greens. It is a large patch to deliver but relatively easy to do. And with the sun out yesterday, lots of people were taking the opportunity to enjoy the weather. The deck chairs were out in force. Though is not my ward, I was recognised. A large group of young people were having what could be described as a party on the green. The householder, from the comfort of his deckchair, said, "Here come the Liberal Democrats," as I approach. It was one of those situations in which I wasn't sure if I was going to get a slamming for being in government or be the recipient of kindly remarks from someone who likes us. I am pleased to report it was the latter. Alas, I was unable to stay for his party. I had to finish the delivery run and get home to feed my goats!

The greens on the Estate can get very wet when it rains and this patch is normally done wearing boots. Yesterday, I was in sandals (well deck shoes actually) such was the weather.


No comments: