Friday, March 27, 2015

Freedom of the borough for cultural leaders



I had to be at the Sage yesterday morning to give a speech supporting the granting of the freedom of Gateshead to two people and an orchestra. It meant an earlier than usual feeding time for the livestock but the ceremony went well. Those being made freemen were Anthony Sargent, former director of the Sage through its early years, Lord (David) Puttnam, former film director and now leading figure in the North East's cultural renaissance, and the Royal Northern Sinfonia, represented by Bradley Creswick.



This was my first ceremonial event as Leader of the Opposition in Gateshead and thankfully, I made no gaffes or mistakes. I even had 5 Labour councillor and a Labour peer congratulate me on my speech! Inevitably, I had to get some photos to share with you:



Me and David Puttnam.



Me and Bradley Creswick.



Me and Anthony Sargent.

No comments: