Saturday, July 19, 2008

Following Labour on our local radar

We were out delivering our next Focus for the byelection in Whickham South and Sunniside this morning. And that"s when I started to get the calls from people who were tracking Labour across the ward. It was like having them on a radar screen. Our opponents were out delivering a letter to postal voters. It is so far their only literature of the campaign. I predicted they would get a leaflet out this weekend. A copy was in my hands very quickly courtesy of a resident who is a postal voter. People may be rushing for the black coffee to wake themselves up after reading it but I doubt they will be rushing to vote Labour on the back of it.

I have to say that I am disappointed with Labour. I had put in a special request to them that they let their usual leaflet writer for our area write their election material and run their byelection campaign in the style that this person normally uses. After all, when this person puts finger to keyboard, the resulting crazy Labour leaflets often cause fewer people to vote Labour. Alas, the anodyne letter they were putting out this morning suggests the writer of the mad leaflets has been metaphorically bound and gagged. Now that's just not fair! Come on Labour, unchain him and let him do his worst (for Labour!) Mind you, there are still 12 days to go so there's time yet.

Thankfully, I finished my leaflet patch this morning before the rain started. I also had a constituent to visit as well. But as we walked through the streets of Newcastle this afternoon, we got caught in a downpour. We were dripping wet when we got to the hairdresser. No need for a wash and blow dry. All we needed was the blow dry!


---
Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: